Anti-social behaviour

We want you to feel safe and secure in your home

Read about our approach to anti-social behaviour (ASB) and how we support you.

If you or another member of your household is experiencing ASB please tell us. All conversations are in strict confidence.

Our approach to ASB

If you are experiencing ASB we will support you, working in confidence to help you to feel safe and secure in your home.

Your Housing Officer or our Anti-Social Behaviour team will investigate your complaint and contact those involved. If the problem continues, we may ask you to keep a record of what happens. We will agree a plan of action with you.

For serious incidents of ASB, we will take legal action where agreed if other measures fail.  We will always ask you before we take any action.

We can also give you advice and practical support. For example, arranging additional security for your house or involving other agencies such as SARI (Support Against Racist Incidents).

Please remember that obligations are in place for all who sign the tenancy agreement to be personally responsible for their actions and that of their household, and/or visitors to not cause a nuisance or harassment to others in the home or nearby.

Smashed window

Are you experiencing anti-social behaviour?

What is anti-social behaviour?

ASB covers a variety of behaviours. It is persistent, ongoing and preventable.

Some behaviours may be annoying, but they may not be classed as anti-social. See the lists below, which outline behaviours that are classed as ASB and behaviours that are not.

If you are not sure if you are experiencing ASB get in touch, and we can discuss this with you.

Anti-social behaviour

  • excessive noise
  • rowdy or threatening behaviour
  • intimidation and harassment
  • violence against people or property
  • criminal damage
  • vandalism or graffiti
  • drug dealing
  • hate behaviours targeted at people who are perceived as different on grounds of race, colour, sexuality, or disability.
  • dog fouling

Behaviours not classified as anti-social

  • noise from children playing
  • personal differences
  • family disputes
  • overgrown gardens
  • noises caused by everyday living, such as flushing the toilet and closing doors

If you're experiencing anti-social behaviour, we will support you

Advice, support and report

If you are experiencing a problem with ASB here is some useful information and links to further support.

  • Noise nuisance

    For some reports of ASB, such as excessive noise, we may require evidence. The noise app which you can use via your smartphone can record the sound and forward it through to us. The app is free to download from google play or the apple store.


  • Actual – or threatened – violence and damage

    If the problem involves someone being violent or threatening you with violence, damaging or threatening to damage your property contact the police immediately.

    If you are in immediate danger or at risk of being harmed, please call 999 and ask for the police.

    Ask the police for a crime reference number and contact us as soon as you can.  This will help us with our investigations.

  • Hate crime

    These are crimes that typically involve violence, which is motivated by prejudice based on race, religion, sexual orientation, or other grounds

    We take any allegations of hate crime seriously and are here to support you.

    If you are a victim of a hate crime, contact the police immediately and let your housing officer know as soon as possible.

    We recommend that all acts of racial or religious harassment are also reported to SARI (Support Against Racist Incidents.) SARI can offer support and will work with us to support you.

    Call the police on 999 if you are in immediate danger or at risk of being harmed.

  • Legal action we can take

    We will always work with residents to resolve anti-social behaviour issues without the need for legal action.  However, by working with partners such as the police, we will use legal action if other interventions have not been successful.  Eviction is only used as a last resort.

    Legal action we can take to tackle anti-social behaviour:

    • Injunction – an official order given by a court of law to stop someone doing something – for example to tackle noise nuisance caused by late night parties.
    • Possession order – if preventative measures such as verbal and written warnings, support referrals, acceptable behaviour contracts and injunctions have not been successful we can apply for a possession order to remove the tenant from the property.



  • REPORT anti-social behaviour

    Reporting anti-social behaviour is the first step to stopping it.

    You can report it 24 hours a day below, or by emailing us at info@brighterplaces.co.uk or by using the noise app.

    During office hours, you can also call 0117 942 4600 to report antisocial behaviour.

    In an emergency, please dial 999 for the police.