Home contents insurance

The contents of your home – all your personal belongings – are your responsibility. If you rent all or part of your home, you need to arrange your own home contents insurance if you want to protect them. The amount you pay can be set at a level that you can afford.

  • Why do I need insurance?

    Who insures what?

    As a landlord we do not insure your contents as part of your tenancy. It is up to you to get insurance. But we can help.

    In case of fire, theft, flood damage or other extreme events, your clothes, furniture and other belongings are not insured and will not be replaced. It is up to you to purchase home contents insurance.

    Peace of mind

    No matter how careful you are, there’s always a risk that your belongings could be broken, damaged or stolen. Insurance can help provide peace of mind.


  • Who can provide cover?

    My Home Contents Insurance

    To help you decide if home contents insurance is right for you, the National Housing Federation teamed up with Thistle Tenant Risks and Ageas Insurance Limited. Together they provide a flexible scheme for tenants. The scheme is called My Home Contents Insurance.

    Under this scheme you can insure the contents of your home, including furniture, carpets, curtains, clothes, bedding, electrical items, jewellery, pictures and ornaments.


  • How do I find out about the scheme?

    Contact the insurer

    Call Thistle Tenant Risks on 0345 450 7288 or visit their website at thistlemyhome.co.uk

    Further information

    Read the data protection policy of Thistle Insurance.

    The National Housing Federation is an Appointed Representative of Thistle Insurance Services Ltd. Thistle Insurance Services Limited is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN 310419. Registered in England under No. 00338645. Registered office: Rossington’s Business Park, West Carr Road, Retford, Nottinghamshire, DN22 7SW. Thistle Insurance Services Ltd is part of the PIB Group.


  • Do I need buildings insurance?


    When you rent a home from us, we will arrange insurance on the structure of the building.

    Shared ownership

    If you own a share in your property with us or 100% of the leasehold, we may insure the building. If you are not sure, please get in touch to check your position.