Electric bikes and scooter fire safety

Community / Housing / News

gotrax-ngVfCOXVGbc-unsplash-e-bike-fire-safety-1161x480

Electric bikes (e-bikes) have been linked to several fires and it has been reported as the ‘most probable cause’ of a fire in a flat in Cambridge that sadly killed a mother and her two children.

It’s essential to be aware of potential fire risks and the dangers associated with e-bikes.  E-bikes must be charged and stored safely to avoid the risk of fire.

Here are some tips to help you stay safe:

  1. Charging precautions: When charging your e-bike avoid leaving it unattended for long periods. Do not leave it to charge while you are asleep or away from home. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions and use the charger that comes with the vehicle.  Do not use a cheap or non-certified charging accessory, as it may pose a fire hazard.
  2. Charging location: Charge your e-bike in a well-ventilated area and away from flammable materials. Don’t charge it near bedding, curtains, or other items that can easily catch fire.
  3. Battery safety: Keep an eye on the battery temperature while charging and avoid using the vehicle immediately after charging, as it can increase the risk of overheating.
  4. Regular maintenance: Regularly inspect your e-bike for any signs of damage, loose wires, or unusual smells. If you notice anything concerning, stop using it immediately and have it checked by a professional.
  5. Store safely: When not in use, store your e-bike in a designated area away from heat sources and flammable items. Never leave it in common areas, hallways, or stairwells, as they can obstruct escape routes in case of a fire.

 Please remember:

Residents cannot store or charge e-bikes in any communal area. Any e-bike stored in communal areas will be removed as part of the communal hallways policy.

We take your safety seriously.  There is more information and fire safety tips on our website to help keep you and your family safe in your home.

You can also read more about e-bike fire safety from Avon and Fire Rescue and the London Fire Brigade.