- Create an emergency evacuation plan
- Make sure everyone living in the house knows where keys are
- Keep all escape routes clear
- Show your family your escape route and make sure everyone can open doors
- Have a second option escape route in case the first is blocked
- If any changes are made to your home, review your evacuation plan
In the event of a fire:
- Stay calm and act quickly – tell everyone to get out
- Don’t waste time trying to take valuables with you
- Close all doors behind you to contain the fire
If your escape route is blocked:
- Call 999 immediately
- Stay in a room far away from the fire and wait for the fire service to arrive
- If you can’t get to a phone, open a window and shout for help
- Put towels or bedding around the bottom of the door to reduce the smoke getting in
Fire prevention tips:
- Regularly (we advise once a month) test your fire alarm is still working.
- Never smoke in bed.
- Always keep a close eye on your cooking – especially if you use a chip pan.
- Keep all appliances and combustible materials such as tea towels and kitchen role away from the cooker when lit.
- Never leave burning candles unattended and make sure they are in a suitable holder. Find out more about using candles safely on Cheshire Fire & Rescue’s website here.
- Don’t overload electrical extension leads/adapters.