How do I end my tenancy?
If you decide that you would like to move out of your Brighter Places property, you must write to us to let us know. You must do this at least 28 days before you plan to move out.
Do I have to give 28 days notice?
Yes, most tenancy agreements have 28 days notice.
If you do not give us 28 days notice in writing, or if you leave the property without telling us, we will expect you to pay the four weeks rent to cover the notice period.
Your tenancy may require more than 28 days notice. This is shown on your tenancy agreement.
When can I end my tenancy?
You can end your tenancy on any day of the month, in agreement with your Housing Officer.
What are the rules about moving out?
You must not leave anyone living in the property when you end your tenancy unless we have agreed to this. If we did agree we will have transferred the tenancy over to someone else.
See below for our checklist of what you must do when you move out.
What happens once I have told you I want to move out?
- We will inspect your home and tell you what condition it needs to be left in. We might ask you to do certain things before you leave.
- We will ask you to let us in to show your home to possible new residents. If we do, a member of our staff will always be there. We will always give you at least 24 hours’ notice before a viewing.
- We will tell you exactly how much rent you need to pay in full before you hand in your keys.
- We will tell you how to hand in your keys.
Moving out checklist
Please make sure you leave the property in a good condition.
- Give us written notice of at least 28 days in advance (check the notice period on your tenancy agreement)
- Pay any rent and other charges you owe
- Read your meters before you leave
- Turn off the water, gas and electricity
- If you have a landline, have the service disconnected
- If you have broadband/cable TV, have the service disconnected
- Tell us your forwarding address and contact number
- Remove furniture, rubbish and all personal items from the property
- Wipe down cupboards and drawers, inside and out
- Clean the bath, shower, toilet and sinks
- Wipe all paintwork, doors and door frames
- If you have a private garden, leave it in a tidy condition
- Return all the keys to us