Universal credit: the final switch

New homes / News


If you claim Employment and Support Allowance, Tax Credits or another older benefit the way your receive your benefit is changing.

The following benefits will stop and recipients will need to move to Universal Credit (UC) to receive them:

  • Jobseekers Allowance
  • Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit

The government is rolling out these changes in phases from April 2023 to April 2025. 

If you claim any of these benefits the government will write to you around three months before your benefits will become part of Universal Credit.  They will also give you a date when your benefits will switch to Universal Credit.

Currently, the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP) is contacting people who receive Tax Credit payments (Child Tax credits or Working Tax credits). The DWP letter will tell everyone who receives tax credits when they will start receiving Universal Credit in place of their tax credits. 

When you receive a letter about changes to your benefits to Universal Credit, please contact your Income Officer on 0117 942 4600 as soon as possible. They will look at your account with you and agree how you will pay your rent if you do not do so already. They will also be able to signpost you to additional support or help with any queries you may have about the changes to Universal Credit. 

During 2024/2025 there may be 53 weeks instead of the usual 52 weeks covered by Universal Credit payments.  Speak to your Income Officer in the meantime about paying a bit more towards your rent. This will mean you have enough money on your rent account to pay for the extra week and avoid going into rent arrears.